ITRI found that SK0 drugs applied in the treatment of bronchial disorders can effectively alleviate symptoms caused by multiple sclerosis (MS). MS is an autoimmune disease caused by abnormalities in the central nervous system. Patients affected by MS can experience symptoms such as vision impairment, limb weakness, dizziness, pains, or urinary and defecatory dysfunction that would result in the inability for independent living or even paralysis. MS remains incurable today; only injections and oral medications can mitigate the symptoms.
Applications & Benefits
With its drug research program, ITRI discovered in animal tests that not only can SK0 improve symptoms of spontaneous encephalomyelitis, but it also helps to reduce inflammation in the nervous system. This result suggests that the drug has similar effects to dimethyl fumarate, an oral medication for MS that is currently on the market. SK0 appears to be a stronger candidate in terms of medical treatments for MS due to innovative approaches, safe applications, reasonable production costs, and a large patient population. Currently, the Taiwan Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) has approved the Investigational New Drug (IND) clinical trial application and a global patent portfolio for SK0 has been completed.
One-Stop Biomedical Services
- Listing Regulations Consulting: FDA/TFDA/CE application, medical device verification/export, medical device/medicine registration, IRB document organization, clinical trial application, and more.
- Technology Transfer: Bio-IT, diagnostics and precision medicine technology, regeneration medicine technology, natural medicine and healthcare technology, targeted drug and delivery technology.
- Model Translation: Domestic supply chain linkage, medical device design control, market analysis, strategy analysis of regulation in commercialization, and more.
- Preclinical / Clinical Trial: Functional safety assessments, clinical research organization linkage, clinical evaluation and analysis, clinical trial planning, clinical trial analysis and reports.
- Other Services: Quality system consulting, commercialization consulting, smart health solutions, software validation, medical device risk management, information security risk evaluation, technical documents preparation, business ecosystem linkage, and more.