It is common for athletes and seniors to have fractures and ligament damage from sports injuries or accidents. However, traditional manufacturing of customizable bio-active implants for the treatment of these injuries is difficult and costly.
ITRI has developed a biomedical material, 3D Printing Biomimetic Materials and Structures for Tissue Integration (BioMS-Ti), which can accelerate the rapid fusion between soft and hard tissues after cruciate ligament has been injured. This material has several positive features. Not only does it prove to be sturdier, and shorten recovery time, but it does not come loose easily, which helps prevent a second injury. Moreover, the high load intensity even allows for safer and lasting implantation.
BioMS-Ti has been authorized to Ingrowth Inc., and new products including bone screws and intervertebral cages have been launched into the market. In the future, the compound material properties of BioMS-Ti can even assist the chemical and textile industries in branching into the biomedical industry, and ITRI has already begun discussions with medical institutions and biomedical material manufacturers for further cooperation.
- Size & Shape: Design for customer needs
- Materials: Metal, polymer, composite or biodegradable materials
- Property: High density (>99%) and porosity (≥40%)
- Mechanics: Fatigue test>100,000 cycles; high strength (20~200Mpa; controllable)
- Others: BioMS-Ti is a biomedical material and structure that can accelerate the rapid fusion between soft and hard tissues to short recovery time, and the high load intensity even allows for safer and lasting implantation.
- Using 3D printing technology to design and manufacture the bio-active implants with special flexibility and microstructure to improve osseointegration and soft-hard tissue integration.
- The 3D printing technology is beneficial in personalized orthopedics, such as patient-specific instruments and 3D-printed custom implants.
Applications & Benefits
- 3D printing technology with tissue engineering that are widely used in sports medicine, such as shoulder injuries, hip injuries and knee injuries.
- The bio-active screw could lead to novel medical implants in orthopedics, dentistry, and aesthetic medicine, especially in geriatric or osteoporotic patients.
- 3D printing-related technologies could offer a new way to development of unique patient specific products and open up the capabilities for customization in a wide variety of applications in the medical field.
One-Stop Biomedical Services
- Listing Regulations Consulting: FDA/TFDA/CE application, medical device verification/export, medical device/medicine registration, IRB document organization, clinical trial application, and more.
- Technology Transfer: Bio-IT, diagnostics and precision medicine technology, regeneration medicine technology, natural medicine and healthcare technology, targeted drug and delivery technology.
- Model Translation: Domestic supply chain linkage, medical device design control, market analysis, strategy analysis of regulation in commercialization, and more.
- Preclinical/Clinical Trial: Functional safety assessments, clinical research organization linkage, clinical evaluation and analysis, clinical trial planning, clinical trial analysis and reports.
- Other Services: Quality system consulting, commercialization consulting, smart health solutions, software validation, medical device risk management, information security risk evaluation, technical documents preparation, business ecosystem linkage, and more.