The wet macular degeneration therapeutic market, whose value of output is expected to exceed NT$300 billion in 2024, is dominated by antibody drugs for intraocular injection. However, eye injections are required throughout patients’ lives because traditional eye drops cannot heal lesions at the rear of the eye. This invasive treatment not only creates fear in patients, but also carries the risk of bleeding, infection, increased intraocular pressure, and even retinal detachment.
ITRI has developed proprietary drug delivery technology that overcomes the previous absorption limitation of eye drops. It has been confirmed as likely to achieve therapeutic concentration in the choroid/retina of the eye in rabbits and monkeys, and the efficacy of the new eye drop has been demonstrated in various non-human subjects such as rats, rabbits and primates. It has proved to be both more convenient and safer when compared with the current intraocular injection treatment. This drug delivery technology has also been applied to the development of multifunctional contact lenses to provide sustained release of nutrients. The product has been transferred to manufacturers and is currently in pilot production.
Applications & Benefits
- More convenient and safer when compared with the current intraocular injection treatment.
- Can be applied to the development of multifunctional contact lenses to provide sustained release of nutrients.
One-Stop Biomedical Services
- Listing Regulations Consulting: FDA/TFDA/CE application, medical device verification/export, medical device/medicine registration, IRB document organization, clinical trial application, and more.
- Technology Transfer: Bio-IT, diagnostics and precision medicine technology, regeneration medicine technology, natural medicine and healthcare technology, targeted drug and delivery technology.
- Model Translation: Domestic supply chain linkage, medical device design control, market analysis, strategy analysis of regulation in commercialization, and more.
- Preclinical / Clinical Trial: Functional safety assessments, clinical research organization linkage, clinical evaluation and analysis, clinical trial planning, clinical trial analysis and reports.
- Other Services: Quality system consulting, commercialization consulting, smart health solutions, software validation, medical device risk management, information security risk evaluation, technical documents preparation, business ecosystem linkage, and more.