In recent years, implantable devices have flourished in the biomedical field, and the global market for implantable medical devices has also grown rapidly. Deep brain stimulation (DBS) using a chronic implanted electrode has been employed successfully to treat patients suffering from various neurological disorders, including refractory epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, and treatment-resistant depression.
However, implanted devices are prone to biofouling and bioadhesion due to contact with tissues in the body, thus causing failure of the implanted device. In order to prolong the service life of implantable devices and improve their performance, the demand for non-specific bioadhesion capabilities of device surfaces (especially those of conductive structures) is also increasing.
ITRI has developed a novel antifouling technology by electrodepositing poly (3, 4-ethylenedioxythiophene) (PEDOT) conducting film with antifouling properties onto the surface of metal electrodes. Ptlr-stimulating electrodes coated with PEDOT film exhibit good electrochemical stability, low impedance, and most importantly, excellent antifouling properties.
- Intrinsically Conducting Polymer
- Antifouling Neural Stimulation Electrode
- Electrodeposition and Electropolymerization
- Excellent Antifouling Property
- Low Impedance
- Electrochemical Stability
Applications & Benefits
- Deep Brain Stimulation
- In vivo Detection of Neurotransmitters
- Electrochemical Biosensor
One-Stop Biomedical Services
- Listing Regulations Consulting: FDA/TFDA/CE application, medical device verification/export, medical device/medicine registration, IRB document organization, clinical trial application, and more.
- Technology Transfer: Bio-IT, diagnostics and precision medicine technology, regeneration medicine technology, natural medicine and healthcare technology, targeted drug and delivery technology.
- Model Translation: Domestic supply chain linkage, medical device design control, market analysis, strategy analysis of regulation in commercialization, and more.
- Preclinical/Clinical Trial: Functional safety assessments, clinical research organization linkage, clinical evaluation and analysis, clinical trial planning, clinical trial analysis and reports.
- Other Services: Quality system consulting, commercialization consulting, smart health solutions, software validation, medical device risk management, information security risk evaluation, technical documents preparation, business ecosystem linkage, and more.